Friday, October 31, 2008

Sarah Vowell's "Bed and Breakfast"



You know what's weird? A few months ago, I uploaded a really crappy animation that I had done in school for a project. It was called the "Found Sound" project; we had to find an audio clip where a musician, artist, or writer is being interviewed, and then do an animation around it. Anyway, this is one of the last projects that I did on paper- I have since switched over 100% to Flash, of course.

Interestingly, this crappy animation is now my most viewed piece on my YouTube channel. At the time of this writing, there's been 2400 views. Which is sort of embarrassing, considering how ashamed I am of the spectacularly bad animation. An enthusiastic viewer wrote to me that "You are the best cartoon creating lady, ever!" Weird that it's received more hits and overall interest than my DP.

I wonder if Sarah Vowell has seen it...

4 comments:

YoPaulie said...

LOL... that DOES rock! I think it's your unique mix of the macabre and the sublime that makes it popular... or it's one person who's a deranged fan of John Wilkes Booth who identifies with the narrator who watches it every hour for affirmation...

YoPaulie said...

Where did you "find" the audio... how was that done? I like the concept... a lot.

Susan Chien said...

In my case, I found a reading online that Sarah Vowell did of one of her short stories. It was way too long for me to do a short animation to, so I had to edit out a bunch of stuff (too bad, because it was all so funny!). But there are a couple of sites out there with non-copyrighted audio files that you can use for projects like this.

The best project that came out of this assignment is from my friend, Alex:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay7ER3TGSoM

Maya Lior said...

Susan this is a great piece!!! How come I have never seen it? I am not surprised that you got many viewers.

Missing you x